Veterinary Wellness Care in Purcellville
Vaccinations & More at Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates
Young animals are like children; it’s a never-ending job keeping them safe and happy. Vaccinations are the best weapon against many viral and bacterial infections, preventing deadly diseases like canine parvovirus and rabies. Vaccinations are most important while your pet is still a puppy or kitten, when their young immune systems are still developing and need protection to stay healthy. Vaccinations are vital to pet health and should be administered to every pet.
Parasites - Get Rid of Those Pesky Critters!
Your pet is an easy target for parasites and small insects. Common parasites like ticks, fleas, and heartworm-carrying mosquitos feed on your pets, potentially infecting them with many dangerous diseases. Discover how these tiny pests can cause big problems.
- Fleas: These bloodsucking insects feed on mammals and lay eggs in their fur. Fleas can transmit harmful parasites like tapeworms and murine typhus, as well as dermatitis and anemia. One flea can reproduce nearly 50 times a day, making a flea infestation a substantial threat to your pet’s wellbeing. Flea infestations often spread throughout your home — living in your carpet and furniture and making them tough to eradicate.
- Ticks: Ticks are found lurking in shrubs and tall grass. They attach to your pet as they run past, biting them and feeding on their blood. Although nearly microscopic, the tick represents one of the most potent dangers to your pet’s health. A single tick bite can carry a host of potentially fatal diseases including lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis. Although rare, animal-to-human transfer is possible, making the tick hazardous to you and your family. Special care should be made to inspect your pet, and yourself, after any woodland outdoor activities.
- Heartworm: Heartworm-carrying mosquitos represent a lethal danger to your pet. The mosquito’s bite transmits the heartworm larva to your animal, it then slowly develops and makes its way toward the heart. Once there, it multiples within your pet’s pulmonary artery, leading to constricted blood flow, heart disease, and major organ failure. In order to prevent deadly heartworm, year-round prevention is recommended.
Parasite Prevention Plan
Both oral and topical anti-parasitic medication is available and should be used regularly. Consult with your Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates veterinarian in Purcellville to determine the best parasite control products for your pet.
Our parasite prevention plan includes:
- Comprehensive examination and testing
- Parasite-control product consultations with an experienced veterinarian
- Access to industry-best medicine and equipment
You are what you eat, so preventative care often starts with food. A nutrition-rich diet is your pet’s first line of defense. Proper daily nutrition is an important factor for keeping your pet healthy, bolstering the immune system and supporting normal development in younger animals.
Every pet’s nutritional needs are different, making feeding them more complicated than it seems. Pet food education is a great way to learn important facts about beneficial nutrients, food safety, and breed-specific feeding requirements.
Your pet depends on you to make the right nutrition choices for them, make sure you know how.
Make an appointment with a Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates veterinarian in Purcellville to discuss your pet’s nutritional needs. We offer many high-quality and prescription diets, if needed.
I Was SO Pleased with Blue Ridge- Vicki L.
They Kept Me Informed- Kimberly R.
They Love Your Pets as Much as You Do- Cynthia A.
Exceptional Care- Hope M.
Unmatched Level of Expertise & Knowledge- Anna W.
Your Pet Is Always Our First Priority
The Finest In Veterinary Care Since 1989
We Build Relationships With Our Clients & Their Pets
Available 24/7/365 to Care for Pets at All Times of Need
The Highest Quality of Care & Personalized Medicine